Check out the current scholarship information :
Scholarships for the Class of 2018 (volume 2)
*** FAFSA Workshop at Fayetteville High School sponsored by WVHEPC, November 1st 4-7 pm. Open setting- bring your financial information and someone will be there to help you fill out your FAFSA.
Check out the SCHOLLY app… it is an app that is a personalized scholarship search. It costs $2.99, is available in the app store and comes highly recommended and is easy to use. If you need $2.99 and don’t have it, and want this app, see Mrs. Banks. FHS will find a way to get this app for you.
- Beckley Area Foundation Scholarships: check out this link: http://www.bafwv.org/scholarships.html This foundation doesn’t actually give the scholarships but it does give you the information and deadlines for the scholarships.
- Various scholarships from the West Virginia State Department website: check out this link:
http://wvde.state.wv.us/counselors/students/scholarships.html . There are several to look at.
- Coca Cola Scholars Program: DEADLINE TO APPLY IS OCTOBER 31ST so get on it here:
- Horatio Alger Scholarship: Our scholarships reward students who possess the character to succeed in life. We help students overcome the financial barriers of pursuing higher education. To qualify, you must have at least a 2.0 GPS and require financial assistance to attend college. Deadline to apply is October 25th! Visit scholars.horatioalger.org
- Signet Classics Student Scholarship Essay Contest : open to junior and seniors; can win $1000 scholarship. See Mrs. Banks for more details.
- The University of Dayton is offering a $10,000 scholarship to attend UD for a senior with a passion for personal development and a commitment to service. Must be nominated by Mrs. Banks by November 1st, 2017. See Mrs. Banks for more details.
- SUNTRUST offers random $500 scholarships randomly chosen every 2 weeks. Enter at www.suntrust.com/offtocollege
- Altice USA’s Hispanic Heritage Essay Contest: Essay contest- must be received by November 1, 2017. $1500 scholarship and iPad mini. Details at AlticeConnects.com/hhm or see Mrs. Banks for more information.
- The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation Foundation Scholarship Program: There are over 90 different scholarships available (I believe you get to choose 2 to apply for). The application is ONLINE only and will be available November 1st. The deadline is January 15, 2018. Last year there were 373 scholarships awarded totaling more than 750,000$. Go to www.tgkvf.org to apply and see more information. READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY!!!!
- 2017 Disability History Essay Contest. Deadline is October 31st, 2017, prizes vary from $750 to $3000. See Mrs. Banks for details.
- The Jefferson Scholars Foundation scholarship is a merit-based, fully funded scholarship to the University of Virginia worth more than $280,000 for non-Virginians (that is you!) You must be nominated by me by December 1st and they are looking for students “with extraordinary intellectual range and depth who possess the highest qualities of leadership, scholarship and citizenship. THIS IS HUGE! If you are interested, see me.
- Hagan Scholarship Foundation is a scholarship for high achieving, self- driven students from a rural area. 350 Scholarships will be awarded. Visit www.hsfmo.org for more information.
OLDER INFORMATION IS BELOW:
Scholarships for the Class of 2018 (volume 1)
This is what I have so far: I will continue to add more information as more information is made available to me. Please check out the Counselor’s Corner on our school website: fhs.faye.k12.wv.us PROMISE Scholarship: pays for tuition in any eligible WV College for all four years that you continue to meet the requirements. You must have 3.0 in core classes grades 9-12; 3.0 overall; 22 composite on the ACT with 20 in each subscore; or you can take the SAT with the following requirements: Total score of 1100; Math 510 and Evidence based reading and writing 540; complete the FAFSA; complete the Promise application. I have a checklist in my office. THE PROMISE APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED BY MARCH 1ST, 2018. (We will be doing the Promise application together in school). https://www.cfwv.com/Financial_Aid_Planning
The above website has a plethora of information regarding scholarships and financial aid in WV as well as Promise Scholarship information.
* ALMOST ALL OF YOU ALREADY HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH CFWV.COM*! You have worked on this website since 8th grade.
H&R Block Budget Challenge: Through a free online game, students pay bills, manage expenses, save money, etc as if they were recent college graduates. And just for playing, you could win one of ten $20,000 college scholarships. http://hrblock.budgetchallenge.com
Questsbridge National College Match: The National College Match is open to high achieving, low income high school seniors (typically a family of four with a household income of $65,000 or less). Apply online for free at www.questbridge.org . Deadline to apply is September 27, 2017.
American Legion Constitutional Speech Contest. Awards from $1500 to $18,000. See me for more information
Coca Cola Scholars Program: DEADLINE TO APPLY IS OCTOBER 31ST so get on it here: http://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/applicants/
Davis & Elkins Highlands Scholarship is available to graduating seniors who met the admission requirements of Davis & Elkins College. www.dewv.edu for more info
There are grants and scholarships for all kinds of things: 90% of golf scholarships for women go unclaimed, so if you ladies play golf, look into it! Millions of dollars in scholarships go unclaimed throughout the country because no one applied. There are scholarships for being smart, for being average, for playing every sport, because you have financial need, because you are tall, because you are Italian, because you have a family member that was a fire fighter. I will continue to give out information as more information becomes available to me. Don’t wait for me! You can do your own google search- then let me know what you find so I can share!