Preschool Special Needs
In accordance with West Virginia Board of Education Policy 2419: Regulations for the Education of Students with Exceptionalities, Fayette County Schools conducts an ongoing Child Find process to identify children who may have special needs. Referrals are received from WV DHHR Birth to Three, parents, physicians/other health care providers, Head Start, child care centers and a variety of other agencies.
Monthly screenings for speech, hearing and development are conducted for 3-5 year olds who are not enrolled in Pre-K. Parents may contact the Fayette County Board of Education, Special Education Department, at (304) 574-1176 for an appointment if a developmental delay is suspected.
Once a child is referred, the following procedures are followed:
- Seek and obtain parent permission to evaluate;
- Schedule and conduct evaluations;
- Schedule and hold Eligibility Committee (EC) meeting;
- If eligibility is determined, develop an Individualized Education Program (IEP) to meet the child’s unique needs; and
- Implement the child’s IEP.
See Pre-K Referral for Evaluation form at the link to the right.